Friday, May 28, 2010

Tiger Lily

Perhaps it's far too early to reveal
A feeling not yet ready to be love.
The light of dawn, though hesitant, is real;
Real as well the hopes that time will prove.
I dance across the meadows of my heart
Carrying doubts that mingle joy and fear.
I know I'm half myself when we're apart;
All I want is with me when you're near.

Some people think that friends should be just friends;
To try for more might ruin what they have.
I think the closest friend is one you love,
Sharing life with words and lips and hands.

One caress unravels mysteries
Lodged behind the most elaborate mask.
The revelation's more than worth the risk.
I want with you such sweet simplicities.

I want us to be friends who now are free
To speak with all the languages of touch.
I want to share your anguish with a kiss
And feel your happiness against my cheek.

I'm sorry for the way I say I love you.
I know this kind of talk is far too soon.
I cannot stop myself; I just adore you.
And so this truth pronounces its own doom.
But when a truth betrays itself, I wonder:
Could it be that such a truth be true?
Or could the sweet compulsion that I'm under
Be caused in part by ignorance of you?
I know only the truth of what I feel,
Which lies beneath all sanity or rule.
My love for you is deep and rich and real,
Though it may be I simply am a fool.
Time will tell the truth, for if you do
Not want my love, I cannot long love you.

Goodbye, my lover and my friend,
On whom I lean my life,
On whom my fortunes now depend,
Do, for me, keep safe.
Be brave, my love, but also know
You live not just for one, but two,
Even as I wait....

No comments:

Post a Comment